Internship - Graphical/UI/UX Designer
We are looking for students and graduates who would like to enter the industry. This internship is flexible, which means that you can continue your studies while doing this internship
This internship is about learning industry-essential skills and getting hands-on experience. We will teach and help you to pursue the following tasks:
- Create elegant and simple digital experiences and manifest them in digital UI’s accross different platforms (mobile, desktop, on-board, etc.)
- Conduct user research and requirements analysis, task and concept modelling, information architecture and interaction design, and concept/usability testing.
- Design interactions using an iterative process, based on evidence from deep customer insight, and gathered through interviews, studies, analytics, usability testing and more.
- Create user experience specifications, personas, user journeys, interactive prototypes and information architecture tools such as site maps and navigation models.
- Create designs for web, print and other media.
- Work closely with design and development teams to ensure the UX specification is successfully translated into visual design and code.
- The only skill requirement is your ability to learn new skills and implement them in your work;
- Knowledge of HTML/CSS is desirable
- Knowledge of GIMP/Inkscape (Photoshop/Illustrator) is desirable
Why this internship is cool
- International. Our company is very small, but the team consists of people of different backgrounds and places. It is a truly international environment.
- Hands-on experience. You will get tasks which are directly related to implementing our projects;
- It is remote, there is no need to visit the office. You are free to work from home or school as long as you do your daily reports (tasks completed, time spent, time estimated);
- Flexible schedule. You can do your studies at school while being an intern;
- Work on things that matter. If you want to work on projects with some real social impact, Skanatek is the right place to do that.
- We will teach you to work and to manage. It’s not just about learning how to do your position-related tasks under our supervision. You will also have an opportunity to learn how to manage a team in order to prepare yourself for higher level positions in the future.
- Informal and flexible atmosphere. Do you have a suit? Good, you do not need one at this position;
- Your voice can be heard. The more experience you will accumulate over time, the more freedom in decision making you will get.
- We can help you to fix your thesis (Bachelor’s or Master’s). If you happen to have an issue finding a company for your BSc/MSc thesis, we could help you with that.
- Your CV will become better. You will be able to enhance your CV with a real experience in the industry.
- We will provide references. We would be glad to give references to your future employers upon your request after you end this internship.
- A possibility for a full-time employment. Although not guaranteed, a successful internship increases your chances to be hired by our company.
I have never heard about Skanatek before
Yes, we are not widely known. In short, Skanatek is small, international and is obsessed with advanced technologies. We develop and run satellite navigation systems for transport and time-critical IT platforms.
Why you should join
Terms and conditions:
- There is no compensation for the internship.
- Although Skanatek is very small, some of references that we provided to our former interns have helped them to land jobs in large well-known companies.
- Our formal headquarters are in Sweden, but the team members live and work remotely from different parts of the world (Sweden, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Russia, India, etc.)
- This internship is 100% remote. It means that as an intern you would have to work alone in front of your computer. Some people do not like when there are no opportunities to socialize in the office and therefore we usually recommend candidates to consider the remote factor thoroughly before applying.
- Since the internship is remote, the working hours are very flexible. The main requirement are the daily reports which should be done daily. If we do not receive a daily report from an intern during the internship, the internship is automatically terminated on the same day (the internship is not added to the CV, no recommendation letter is provided).
- If an intern wishes to, an internship agreement can be signed between the company and the intern. The agreement regulates all the aspects of the internship.
- The internship is built around testing the self-learning skills of the intern, as well as his/her ability to be a reliable part of the team. Therefore, the internship is essentially a course of studies during which the intern reads relevant sources, applies new knowledge to complete assignments and does reporting about that.
- The internship is done in 2 phases. During the 1st phase the intern studies himself/herself; the assignments start with very simple ones, but the difficulty increases closer to the end of the 1st phase. If the 1st phase is completed sucessfully the intern joins the team to study/work on more difficult assignments with the help of team members (company chat, online portal, Skype). During both phases the intern also studies by a curated reading list to widen his/her theoretical knowledge.
- The first phase of the internship can take about 4 weeks and the second phase can take about 8-10 weeks.
- The internship requires the intern to study 3-5 hours daily, 5 days a week. However, if an intern wishes to study on a faster pace, he/she can be transfered to the 2nd phase earlier.
- (if you are located in Sweden) Up to ~5000 SEK monthly internship payment paid by one of Arbetsförmedlingen’s support programs (Arbetspraktik, Jobb- och utvecklingsgarantin, Jobbgarantin för ungdomar or by the Praktikplats program of Arbetsmarknadsenheten in your town.
- OR no compensation if Arbetsförmedlingen or an Arbetsmarknadsenheten does not grant you any financial support;
- Depending on the intern’s performance, the intern might be proposed a full-time position relevant to his area of expertise at the end of the internship period.
Whom we expect to see in the team
We prefer to enhance our team with generalists, because they tend to perform more efficiently compared to specialist in ever-changing situations. That means that it is absolutely ok if you lack some specific skills in your CV, but it also means that the range of the tasks assigned to you will be very broad.
How to apply for this internship
If you are ok with the terms and conditions of this internship, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, containing:
- Subject: Internship application - (Internship name) - (Your full name)
- Email body: Your full name, Internship name (Digital Marketing & PR, Software Engineering, etc.)
- Your CV attached
- How did you find about us? (please, provide a link to the site)
- (For software engineering interns only) A link to a new repository at your GitHub account.
- Create an empty folder in Dropbox (or any other cloud storage) and send us a publicly available link to that folder (please do not share a folder, just send a plain link instead). The folder should be named as (internship-assignments-(your full name)). You will use it as the main storage of all your completed assignments.
If your application is fine, we will reply to you with a link to a Dropbox folder that contains the internship assignments. When you get that link, you can start the internship. The first day of your internship is the day you send in your first email report.